In his book, The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Patrick Lencioni offers a Team Assessment questionnaire to evaluate a team’s susceptibility to the dysfunctions. Below are variations of 5 statements that strive to assess the level of team bonding:
- All team members are aware of the others’ key activities, and how their actions contribute to the team’s goals.
- Team members know what they expect from each other and intensely seek to avoid disappointing their teammates.
- During meetings, members confidently address the most difficult issues, challenging one another about their plans and methods.
- Team members are first to admit mistakes and slow to seek credit, but quick to credit others.
- Meetings and discussions are concluded with clear resolutions and action steps, so all members can be confident that their associates are committed to a decision.
How consistently does your team demonstrate these behaviors?
How might team bonding be strengthened?